Friday, November 12, 2010

No credit for compulsion

I am not sure what motivates me.  I am not motivated by money or power.  Some people have what I see as an unhealthy obsession with those two things.  They are what we call, "successful".  They talk about how they have worked hard to get where they are and yet they really don't have a choice.  They are just doing what their brain is compelling them to do. They couldn't stop if they wanted to.  Then there are people who have to work past an innate desire to be content. In this American culture, contentedness=lazy.  If you aren't constantly struggling to get more and more and more, then there is something wrong with you.  I think we have this completely screwed up.  I think there is something wrong with someone who is never satisfied, never happy with what they have.  I equate this to someone who has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  If someone with OCD keeps an immaculate home, I am not really that impressed.  They don't have a choice.  Their brain will not allow anything else.  On the other hand, if someone is the type of person that isn't really concerned with a neat house and yet fights the urge to let it go and keeps it clean, that person deserves more credit.  In my opinion,  that person "worked harder" than the person who has OCD.  The thing that bothers me about the system we have is the people that do become successful tend to think they worked harder than the rest of us.  I've worked hard.  I've served my country.  I pay my taxes. Because I am not obsessed with money or power, I will never be "Successful".

No comments:

Post a Comment